Iron Horse Athletes,
The Paleo Challenge has begun! It will run from 1/3/12 to 2/2/12…….30 days of the cleanest eating you’ve ever undertaken. Here’s the basic rundown on the challenge, we’d like to see as many of you as possible giving this a go. The more people we have, the more support everyone will get! We would encourage you to select a partner to help hold yourselves accountable. This challenge will be on the “honor system” so please do your best to be honest with yourself and others. Also to make this more excited and to have something on the line we will have a $$ pot. We ask that everyone participating in the challenge throw in $5 cash into the jar at the box for whoever the winner will be.
There is definitely going to be an adaptation period where your body has to adjust to the change in its fuel input. This is not a one shot deal either – for example, if you fall off the Paleo wagon with sweetner in your tea, you are not out and should not go right back to old eating habits. We do understand that for all of us, real life is still out there waiting and food consumption is a huge component to our work and social lives. For that reason we are going to work on a point system!
Melissa Byers came up with the following 7 guidelines and we’re going to follow them as well. (Here’s an article that Melissa wrote about her whole Paleo experience – ARTICLE)
They are as follows:
1. Eat real food – meat, eggs, vegetables, nuts, seeds, fruit, oils (like EVOO or coconut). Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re fresh and natural.
2. Do not eat dairy. This includes butter, cheese (hard and soft), yogurt (even Greek) and milk (including cream in your coffee).
3. Do not eat grains. This includes bread, rice, pasta, corn (I count corn as a grain), oatmeal, and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains. That’s not real food, right?
4. Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds, lentils, and peanuts. (No peanut butter, kids.)
5. Do not eat sugars of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, Splenda, Truvia, Stevia, etc.
6. Do not eat processed foods. This includes protein shakes, processed bars (like Zone bars), dairy-free creamers, etc.
7. Do not drink alcohol, in any form. (I know, I know)
FYI, this constest is on the honor system!! Everyone will start each day with 7 points. If you break one of the above guidelines then deduct a point for yourself. So if you have a piece of cheese, that’s a (-1). However, if you have a glass of some sort of peanut vodka, that’s a (-2), -1 for the peanuts and –1 for the alcohol. In the interest of keeping things simple, if you’re going to eat one piece of cheese or 20 of them, it’s still a (-1) deduction, so go to town.
At the end of each day, post on the website blog, give yourself a score for that day or tally them up and give yourself a score for the week. Feel free to write in how you are feeling performance-wise and otherwise as well. Reading about each other’s experiences will only serve to help.
The winner will be the athlete with the most Paleo Points for the month as posted on the blog and will win the $$ pot.