CROSSFIT FOR EVERYONE
CrossFit is designed for universal scalability making it the perfect application for any committed individual regardless of experience. While it is the principal strength and conditioning program for many police academies and tactical operations teams, military special operations units, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide, CrossFit really is suited for everyone. We’ve used our same workout routines for elderly individuals with heart disease and cage fighters one month out from televised bouts. We scale movements; we don’t change programs. The needs of Olympic athletes and our grandparents differ by degree not kind. Our terrorist hunters, skiers, mountain bike riders and housewives have found their best fitness from the same regimen.
By design, our programming is scalable and applies equally well to all individuals regardless of age or fitness level. We vary the load and intensity, which allows us to start you at a level appropriate to your fitness ability and experience. With commitment and hard work you will achieve improved fitness with a high degree of athleticism. We take an “old-school” approach using fundamental functional movements (core to extremity) with a strong emphasis on proper technique. Our ever-changing workouts combine body-weight exercises, weightlifting, and a huge variety of high-intensity movements that combine both cardio and strength. The stimulus provided is always varied and the results are dramatic. The atmosphere is always one of support and camaraderie!
Our idea on training is typically against the norm, which makes our workouts fun and different. Workouts are most often completed within group classes, which we try to cap at a maximum of 15 clients with an average class size of 6-8. This provides you with the attention from the trainer that is necessary for your safety and success. You will be challenged both mentally and physically in your workouts but will find a great sense of camaraderie with those you are working with.
We believe in training for life and not one specific thing. Training for life means that we have to be prepared for the unknown and even unknowable. Our workouts involve exercises that mimic everyday movements so that you can become stronger and more efficient in day to day activities. Our program delivers a fitness that is broad, general, and inclusive. Combat, survival, many sports, and life reward this kind of fitness and, on average, punish the specialist. Thousands of athletes worldwide have followed our workouts posted daily on this site and distinguished themselves in real life combat situations, the streets, the ring, stadiums, gyms and homes.
Is CrossFit right for me?
We want to help you with reaching your potential, which is typically far more than you ever thought you could achieve. Providing you with an encouraging and friendly environment will help to build the CrossFit Community and enable more people to reach their goals whatever they may be. Anyone can excel at CrossFit. You won’t have to lift weights beyond your level or perform movements beyond your skill set. We pride ourselves on working with individuals of all different types and ability levels and making them better. Sign up for your FREE Intro Class today, at CrossFit Iron Horse, you will succeed!
Why does CrossFit Work?
CrossFit works because we specialize in not specializing! There are 10 General Physical Skills we promote at CrossFit. They are:
- Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance – The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
- Stamina – The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
- Strength – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.
- Flexibility – the ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
- Power – The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.
- Speed – The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
- Coordination – The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.
- Agility – The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
- Balance – The ability to control the placement of the bodies center of gravity in relation to its support base.
- Accuracy – The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.
Because of the focus on each of these skills, our athletes see significant improvements in their body composition, work capacity, health markers (BP, Cholesterol, etc.), and their ability to perform tasks in sport and their daily lives.
World Class” Fitness in 100 Words
Greg Glassman–CrossFit Co-founder
- Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and NO sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat.
- Practice and train major lifts: deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics:pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstands, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast.
- Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. ROUTINE IS THE ENEMY. Keep workouts short and intense.
- Regularly learn and play new sports!